Note: Our hosts at Blog World Expo have given us the liberty to include events and parties specific to Blogs With Balls that will be included for BwB sports track attendees only, in addition to and separate from what’s being offered by BWE.
The complete BlogWorld and New Media Expo session schedule is available HERE.
PANEL 1: CONNECTING DIRECTLY
Thurs. Oct. 15, Room 232, 9:45am – 10:45pm
A discussion about what athletes being able to speak directly to their fanbase via blogs & Twitter means to sports media, bloggers, and fans.
- Mike Germano (President, Carrot Creative)
- Pete Vlastelica (CEO, Yardbarker.com)
- Ron Wechsler (VP Series Production and Development, ESPN)
- John Thornton (NCAA All-American, Cincinnati Bengal, Founder & Co-CEO: JockBiz.com)
Moderator: Matt Sebek (JoeSportsFan.com)
PANEL 2: THE FUTURE OF SPORTS MEDIA
Thurs. Oct. 15, Room 232, 11:00am – 12:00pm
A discussion between traditional journalists and bloggers about the rise in prominence of sports blogs as members of the media and how the two parties can work together to compliment one another instead of taking an adversarial tone.
- Bethlehem Shoals (FreeDarko, Bloomsbury USA, The Sporting News’ The Baseline)
- Matt Ufford (WithLeather/Kissing Suzy Kolber)
- Kevin Blackistone (Around the Horn/FanHouse/Shirley Povich Chair in Sports Journalism at the Univ. of Maryland)
- Amy K. Nelson (ESPN.com)
- Ed Bunnell (VP Programing, FoxSports.com)
Moderator: Dan Shanoff (DanShanoff.com)
PANEL 3: ACCESS
Thurs. Oct. 15, Room 232, 1:30pm – 2:30pm
Certain teams and leagues have embraced bloggers and recognized their value in promoting their respective brands. Several have allotted bloggers many of the same privileges they do member of the traditional media. Many, however, are still guarded and protective of their product in this regard. We discuss the pros and cons of the various policies.
- Mitch Germann (VP Communications, Sacramento Kings)
- Patrick Wixted (New Media Strategies)
- John Karalis (RedsArmy.com)
- Greg Wyshynski (Puck Daddy)
Moderator: Dan Levy (OnTheDL Podcast)
PRESENTATION 1: BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT: BUILDING YOUR BRAND & GROWING YOUR BOTTOM LINE
Thurs. Oct. 15, Room 232, 4:00pm – 5:00pm
A presentation from the Sports Illustrated Group on strategies you can use to leverage your voice and your audience to reach marketers, advertisers and editors.
- Jeff Griffing, VP of Ad Sales for the Sports Illustrated Group
- Paul Fichtenbaum, Managing Editor SI.com
- Ken Fuchs, VP SI Digital
- Scott Novak, VP of Communications
POST-CONFERENCE HAPPY HOUR AT THE ESPN ZONE
Thurs. Oct. 15, 6:30pm
NY NY Hotel and Casino, 3790 Las Vegas Blvd South
Hosted by ESPN.com Editor-in-Chief Rob King and Mike Tollin, director of Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?
PRESENTATION/Q & A: STATE OF THE UNION
Fri. Oct. 16, Room 228, 12:45pm – 1:45pm
3 of the top sports bloggers on the web talk about the direction the genre has taken, the direction it’s headed, and answer questions from attendees.
- Jamie Mottram (Yahoo!/Mr. Irrelevant)
- JE Skeets (Ball Dont Lie/The Basketball Jones)
- AJ Daulerio (Deadspin)
Moderator: Spencer Hall (EDSBS, The Sporting Blog)
KEYNOTE PANEL: INCORPORATING THE WEB ACROSS MULTI-PLATFORMS IN SPORTS MEDIA
Fri. Oct. 16, Room 228, 4:00pm – 5:00pm
How outlets and personalities from TV and print are utilizing the web and social media to maximize exposure and enhance brand.
- Jalen Rose (NBA Analyst, JalenRose.com)
- Rob King (Editor-in-Chief, ESPN.com)
- Jim Bankoff (SB Nation)
BLOGS WITH BALLS CHARITY POKER SHOOTOUT
Fri. Oct. 16, 7:30pm
Hard Rock Hotel and Casino’s New Poker Lounge, 4455 Paradise Rd
Each table in the 100-person Shootout, generously underwritten by Carbon Poker, will feature sports writers from the leading sports media companies, including ESPN, Fox Sports, Yahoo, AOL, Sports Illustrated, Gawker Media, Yardbarker, SB Nation and more. In addition, each table will feature one of the best professional poker players in the world, including Annie Duke – a WSOP bracelet winner and runner up on Donald Trump’s Celebrity Apprentice on NBC.
The Shootout has been organized to raise money and awareness for Ante Up for Africa, a charity founded by Duke and award-winning actor Don Cheadle to aid relief efforts in Darfur through poker events. In the last three years, Ante Up for Africa has raised more than $5 million dollars to help support human rights work in Darfur.
Confirmed pros participating in the shootout include: Duke, Joe Sebok, James Van Alstyne, Jen Harman, Marco Traniello, Jeff Madsen,Karina & Chip Jett and Layne Flack.