Blogs with Balls 2.0 took place on October 15 & 16, 2009 at the Las Vegas Convention Center, as part of Blog World & New Media Expo 2009. Here are some of the highlights:
And here’s the video that kicked off Blogs with Balls 2.0, courtesy of Wondershot Productions:
Blogs with Balls 3.0 was sponsored by:
Ticket discount generously furnished by:
A discussion about what athletes being able to speak directly to their fanbase via blogs & Twitter means to sports media, bloggers, and fans.
- Mike Germano (President, Carrot Creative)
- Pete Vlastelica (CEO, Yardbarker.com)
- Ron Wechsler (VP Series Production and Development, ESPN)
- John Thornton (NCAA All-American, Cincinnati Bengal, Founder & Co-CEO: JockBiz.com)
Moderator: Matt Sebek (JoeSportsFan.com)
A discussion between traditional journalists and bloggers about the rise in prominence of sports blogs as members of the media and how the two parties can work together to compliment one another instead of taking an adversarial tone.
- Bethlehem Shoals (FreeDarko, Bloomsbury USA, The Sporting News’ The Baseline)
- Matt Ufford (WithLeather/Kissing Suzy Kolber)
- Kevin Blackistone (Around the Horn/FanHouse/Shirley Povich Chair in Sports Journalism at the Univ. of Maryland)
- Amy K. Nelson (ESPN.com)
- Ed Bunnell (VP Programing, FoxSports.com)
Moderator: Dan Shanoff (DanShanoff.com)
Certain teams and leagues have embraced bloggers and recognized their value in promoting their respective brands. Several have allotted bloggers many of the same privileges they do member of the traditional media. Many, however, are still guarded and protective of their product in this regard. We discuss the pros and cons of the various policies.
- Mitch Germann (VP Communications, Sacramento Kings)
- Patrick Wixted (New Media Strategies)
- John Karalis (RedsArmy.com)
- Greg Wyshynski (Puck Daddy)
Moderator: Dan Levy (OnTheDL Podcast)
A presentation from the Sports Illustrated Group on strategies you can use to leverage your voice and your audience to reach marketers, advertisers and editors.
- Jeff Griffing, VP of Ad Sales for the Sports Illustrated Group
- Paul Fichtenbaum, Managing Editor SI.com
- Ken Fuchs, VP SI Digital
- Scott Novak, VP of Communications
3 of the top sports bloggers on the web talk about the direction the genre has taken, the direction it’s headed, and answer questions from attendees.
- Jamie Mottram (Yahoo!/Mr. Irrelevant)
- JE Skeets (Ball Dont Lie/The Basketball Jones)
- AJ Daulerio (Deadspin)
Moderator: Spencer Hall (EDSBS, The Sporting Blog)
How outlets and personalities from TV and print are utilizing the web and social media to maximize exposure and enhance brand.
- Jalen Rose (NBA Analyst, JalenRose.com)
- Rob King (Editor-in-Chief, ESPN.com)
- Jim Bankoff (SB Nation)
And if you haven’t already, make sure you check out the Blogs with Balls 1.0 highlight reel:
BLOGS WITH BALLS 2.0
Las Vegas Convention Center
October 15 & 16, 2009
Background photo credit: Irene Tong